Reg Perfect

In this project, I was asked to invent an advertising campaign for an imaginary band called Reg Perfect and the Squeegees. This imaginary band could be located in any musical genre. To develop and improve my creative skills as a visual communicator it was recommended that I research and adapt my ideas within a culture of music that I was unfamiliar with.
My final outcome for this project had to be realised in a print medium.
The final outcome had to be at least 3 promotional items.



To begin this project I looked at album art that I found visually interesting. I made notes and began to think of ideas for my own album art.
Even with todays emphasis on downloads I still wanted to have an album cover. Initial ideas were to have the band as an indie/alternative band. Bands like The XX, Mumford & Sons and Bon Iver have all recorded their music on vinyl. A final cover on a 12" sleeve would look far better visually than on a CD.


Eventhough I did like numerous designs I created they were for a musical genre that I was very familiar with. I wanted to stick to the brief. 
I started to look into the music i was less familiar with. I looked at R&B and Electro.
After some research into Electro advertising and art I decided create my campaign for Reg Perfect & the Squeegees in this genre.
My first ideas were to have straight lines and bright colours. This I though was a theme in a large number of current campaigns.
I liked one of my first ideas very much. I thought it looked different and eye catching. I developed this template further. I tried different colours and no colours. 

I liked the outcome of inverting the image very much. It immediately gave it a different feel.


This perhaps was too different. It looked like a different genre. It looked like it could easily fit in to the rock genre.
I did not continue my development for the album art any further as I believed I had found a design that worked well, showed the genre well and was visually appealing.
My second promotional item was a poster advertising the bands upcoming tour.
I wanted to link my promotional items in some way. I linked mine through continuing the design of the album art.
I developed the poster over time to make it better and more informative. I experimented with different images and sizes.


For my third promotional item I created a fan-zine.
I created this zine in a zine workshop. We were shown different zines and asked to use found materials form around the room to create our own.



























I thoroughly enjoyed this extremely useful exercise. I am very pleased with the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment